Thursday, May 14, 2009

Eldest by Christopher Paolini

Eldest continues the story of Eragon and Saphira and as we are told in the end of Eragon, he and Saphira go to train in Ellesmera, land of the elves. Meanwhile, Eragon's cousin Roran leads Carvahall in a fight against the horrifying Ra'zac. (Sorry for the short summary, but that's all I could think of without giving away a bunch of stuff.)

I just finished the book, and the ending was amazing! It left me somewhat satisfied, while also wanting to rush out and read the next book. It was great. Wow.

Although the ending was great, the beginning was a different story. There was nothing wrong with the plot, but it took a while to settle myself into the story, mainly because of the POV changes. In the previous book, all is told from Eragon's perspective. That's what I was expecting in this book as well, but that wasn't the case. Parts of the story were told from Roran's and Nasuada's POV as well. However, once I realized what was happening I began to enjoy seeing circumstances from everyone's perspective.

Many new characters are introduced in this book, and many characters that were minor in the first book took on more important roles. Although it took awhile to familiarize myself with everyone, they all played important parts to helping flesh out the story.

The main thing I enjoyed about this book was the plot. It was incredibly interesting with many turns. Things happened that I didn't expect to expect! The plot kept me mesmerized!

Overall, this book was very good. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first, but I did enjoy it. And I can't wait to get started on the third.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Newer Post Older Post Home