Thursday, June 25, 2009

Girl With A Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

From the back of the book: History and fiction merge seamlessly in Tracy Chevalier's luminous novel about artistic vision and sensual awakening. Through the eyes of sixteen-year-old Griet, the world of 1660s Holland comes dazzlingly alive in this richly imagined portrait of the young woman who inspired one of Vermeer's most celebrated paintings.


This book is a perfect example of why I love historical fiction. When I finished, I actually caught myself thinking that this story was the true story behind the painting! The writing was absolutely fabulous, and I was really drawn into Griet’s story. All of the character’s in this book were complex, and I don’t think I ever completely figured any of them out; especially the painter. I would summarize the book like this: This was the story of one girls’ life in Holland that turned out more dramatically than she ever expected.


Book Reporter
Blog Critics
Amazon

blog comments powered by Disqus

Newer Post Older Post Home