Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy by Mary Street

*If you haven't read Pride and Prejudice there are spoilers in this review.*

When Darcy comes to stay with the Bingleys at their newly rented home, he expects to detest the people and manners from the country. What he doesn't expect is to be captivated by a charming lady who wants nothing to do with him, Elizabeth Bennet.

This was such an entertaining book. It wasn't supposed to neccasarily be funny, but I found myself laughing again and again. I knew I was going to love this book within the first couple chapters. The book soon takes us to the ball where Darcy initially sees Elizabeth. Instead of admitting that he may be attracted to her, he is sure she is employing some unknown charm to catch his attention.

At times, I felt sorry for Darcy, at others, I thought he totally deserved what was coming. It never even occured to him that she might not accept his proposal. It was intriguing to see how he took Elizabeth's words to heart after the proposal. I think that may be part of the attraction of Darcy. Because of Elizabeth's words, he changed.

This book follows Pride and Prejudice very well. The only thing that I would have liked to have seen a bit more of in this book is Darcy's time after the proposal. Did he wander the streets aimlessly, Elizabeth's words pounding into his head? It was covered, but I would have liked to have seen just a bit more detail.

The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy flew by for me. The characters were portrayed pretty much as I'd always imagined, and it was a lot of fun to see things from Darcy's point of view.

My rating: 4/5 stars

blog comments powered by Disqus

Newer Post Older Post Home