Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Bookish Habits

Here's another survey type thing I've seen around, most recently at Books By Their Cover. Feel free to complete it yourself. I'd love to see what you have to say!

Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback?
Definitely hardback; They last longer, and I'm more inclined to let them stick around.

Barnes & Noble or Borders?
I've never been inside a Borders. There aren't any that I know of in my area. I like my local Barnes & Noble well enough, but it's always so busy. It's hard to relax. If I have a choice, I always head to Books A Million.


Bookmark or dog-ear?
I used to just close the book and flip around to find the page later. I quit doing that after I found a couple of major spoilers. I definitely use bookmarks now.

Amazon or brick-and-mortar?
I like buying off of Amazon because it's usually a bit cheaper, but I love browsing in bookstores. If we had an indie in the area, I'd buy from it, but we don't, so I use Amazon the most when I buy new books.


Alphabetize by author, or alphabetize by title, or random?
I try to categorize by subject matter after I read the book. Before, it's lying on top of the bookcase in the TBR pile which is currently making the case bend in the middle.

Keep, throw away, or sell?
I like to trade or keep, mostly keep. I give away a few to friends. It usually starts out as a borrow, but I rarely get them back. :P

Keep dust jacket or toss it?
Keep! I don't see why you'd toss it. That's the pretty part.


Read with dust jacket or remove it?
I always have to remove it in hopes of keeping it safe. I don't like books where the dust jacket is torn, so I just stick them in a drawer until I finish the book. Plus, the jacket always tends to slide along the book when I read, and that can get a bit annoying.


Short story or novel?
Novels, for the most part. I like short stories, but when I read a good one, I always want it to be longer!


Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
I've never read Harry Potter. It just doesn't sound like my type of book. I really liked Lemony Snicket. I was in the 5th grade when I started reading them. I think I read the first three before my dreams started getting so bad I had to quit. I'm hoping to pick them up again, though.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
I like to stop at chapter breaks. It just makes me feel better.


“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?
How about, "Once upon a time on a dark and stormy night."


Buy or borrow?
Buying new books is a luxury, for me. I buy lots of used books at used book stores (That would make sense, huh) and thrift stores. I really like the selection my library has, so I get a lot of books there, as well.

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations, or browse?
All of the above. As I continue blogging, I'm finding that book reviews are having a larger impact on my buying choices.


Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
I'm not fond of a completely tidy ending, but tidy is my preference for the most part. I don't like to be left wondering over too much.


Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?
I read the most at night, after the day is done, and I can relax.

Stand-alone or series?
There are so many series being started! It's great, but I think I prefer stand-alones.


Favorite series?
There are a bunch of good ones! The Saddle Club, Heartland, Thoroughbred, and Anne of Green Gables are probably my favorites.

Favorite children’s book?
Definitely But No Elephants!. My parents say I used to cry when I listened to them read that book to me.

Favorite YA book?
I love how most of these questions aren't actually questions. :) There are way too many. Recently, Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. I'm still thinking about it, even though I read the book a month ago. :D

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
Tales of the Madman Underground was a good book. I haven't seen much of it.


Favorite books read last year?
Gone with the Wind. That's actually where the inspiration for my name came from, although I've been told I resemble Scarlett a bit more.


Favorite books of all time?
I don't know. I think I'm still looking for them.


What are you reading right now?
I'm reading both Nick of Time and Freaks and Revelations. They are both out of my normal choices, but I'm enjoying them!

What are you reading next?
Slept Away by Julie Kraut; I've been wanting to read that all summer, but I just never got around to it. I love summer camp. I don't think my experiences with it were quite so dramatic, though.


Favorite book to recommend to an 11-year-old?
That's kind of broad. What kind of 11-year-old?


Favorite book to re-read?
It's really rare for me to re-read books. I occasionally glance through to go back over my favorite scenes. I have read Pride and Prejudice three times. The first time I read it, I think I was eleven, but it was a really abridged version. I was mad about that, so I reread an unabridged version. Then I read it in eigth grade again, just for fun.


Do you ever smell books?
Sometimes. I think the new ones smell better, though.


Do you ever read primary source documents like letters or diaries?
Other than my own? No.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Newer Post Older Post Home