Friday, November 20, 2009

Things I've Learned About Library Sales

Over the past few months I've been to a few library sales. It's great to be able to pick up some awesome books for really low prices while simultaneously support libraries. I've noticed four things in my limited experience, and I thought I'd share them with you.


There will either be somone in front of you...

The sales I've been to line up the books in rows on long tables. No matter where I went there was always someone in front of me, and one of two things usually happened:

1) They went extremely slow. As in ceremoniously checking each book. I'm the type that's itching to get ahead because as I'm standing there waiting, a book I may want is being snatched away before I even lay my eyes on it.

or

2) I'd see a book I wanted being taken by the person right in front of me. The agony!

...Or someone behind you.

A couple times someone would come up behind me, and it would go something like this:

They'd look at the books directly in front of them. They'd look at the books in front of me. They would bore holes into my back willing me to move faster, but I couldn't because I was trying to make a decision of whether I wanted a particular book. This was important! A combination of heavy sighing, box-in-arms shifting, and shifting of feet would commence.

By this time, I've generally got the point, and I'm moving to get out of the way as fast as possible.

There will always be that one book.

At every sale I've been to, I've always ended up seeing at least one book I wanted in someone elses hands. It's almost inevitable! One time, this person had a book that I'd been looking for for a few months. If I wasn't so shy, it definitely would have turned into a showdown. xD

It will always be fun!

I've had a lot of fun at book sales this past year, and I can't wait for my local library sales next year. There hasn't been a single time that I've walked out with less than ten books.

So what about you? What have your previous book sale experiences been like?

blog comments powered by Disqus

Newer Post Older Post Home