Friday, April 16, 2010

Sweethearts by Sara Zarr

From Goodreads: After losing her soul mate, Cameron, when they were nine, Jennifer, now seventeen, transformed herself from the unpopular fat girl into the beautiful and popular Jenna, but Cameron's unexpected return dredges up memories that cause both social and emotional turmoil.

I went into this book with all the wrong expectations. I was thinking that it would be fairly predictable with Jenna and Cameron falling in love and living happily ever after, or they would find out that they were too different and go on seperate paths, never to meet again. Sweet, fun, and predictable. Shows how much I know.

Since I went into this book expecting a different type of book, it took me a few chapters to get into Sweethearts. There were parts of this book that felt slow to me. I'm not sure why, since events in this book happen fairly quickly. However, the farther along I got in this book, the more engrossed I became.

Jenna and Cameron's bond runs deep. It's hard to explain to others. In fact, Jenna has a hard time understanding it herself. It's intriguing to watch their relationship. As Jenna thinks of bits of their past, it becomes easier to realize what holds them together so strongly.

As Jenna grows as a character, the writing becomes more lyrical. Through the final chapters of the book, it was amazing. Sweethearts houses one of my all time favorite quotes now. The kind that sort of makes you want to laugh and sort of makes you want to cry.

Although Once Was Lost is my favorite of the two books I've read by Sara Zarr thus far (I have a copy of Story of A Girl on its way!), Sweethearts was a worthwhile read with one of the most gorgeous endings I've ever read.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Newer Post Older Post Home