Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Luxe by Anna Godbersen

From Goodreads: A big, sumptuous tale of catty girls, dark secrets and windswept romance unfurls in this compulsively readable novel of late-19th-century New York City socialites. Godbersen weaves a tenuous web of deceit, backstabbing and pretense that follows four teens: Elizabeth Holland, a prim and proper lady of old-money society, is betrothed to one man, though furtively loves another; Henry Schoonmaker, a debauched playboy who must marry Elizabeth or be disinherited; Diana Holland, Elizabeth’s younger sister who is in love with her fiancé; and Penelope Hayes, a member of the nouveau riche who will stop at nothing to win Henry’s affections. As Elizabeth and Henry’s wedding approaches, the spectacle unfolds in a wondrously grandiose scene, making for a fun, though not entirely unexpected dénouement. A delicious new twist along the Gossip Girl vein, readers will clamor for this sharp, smart drama of friends, lovers, lies and betrayal.

I love reading historical fiction, especially the books that are set in the late 19th, early 20th century periods. The clothes, the speech, the way people lived; almost everything from that time period intrigues me! I'm happy to say that this book did, as well.

Thrown into a world where appearance was everything, I found myself being immersed in the story. The beginning of the book was interesting, and it was fun to get to know all of the characters. Halfway through I came up with a theory of how it would end, and after that, I couldn't wait to finish it. I ended up getting more and more excited as I neared the end, wanting to see if I was right or wrong. I was kept in suspense until the very end! I loved it.

The characters in this book were really interesting. Watching them struggle with finding a balance between what everyone else wanted and what they wanted, seeing who they trusted and who they used for their own gain.

Overall, The Luxe was an immensely satisfying read, and I'm looking forward to starting the next book in the series, Rumors, very soon. Thankfully, it's lying on my shelf, just waiting for me to pick it up.

My rating- 4/5 stars

Other reviews:
YA Reads
Stop, Drop, and Read!
GreenBeanTeenQueen

blog comments powered by Disqus

Newer Post Older Post Home