Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell

Molly is seventeen when her father remarries. Her new mother is vain, and her stepsister is quite the character, alluring every man she meets. She and Molly soon become good friends. Molly becomes the go-between for Cynthia and her lovers. This may cause Molly to lose both her reputation and the man she loves.

I loved Molly. She's so unpretentious, and she loves her father very much.


The plot in this book is complicated, so I had to stay focused in order to make sure I didn't miss anything. It's definitely worth it. I wasn't disappointed.


The only thing I was disappointed in with this book is that the author died before it was finished. Although we don't get the exact ending, you do get a pretty good feel of where the story was headed, so you're not left hanging.


Although North and South still remains my Gaskell favorite, this book is certainly a worthwhile read.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Newer Post Older Post Home