Monday, March 22, 2010

Oblivion Road by Alex McAulay

On their way home from a ski trip, Courtney and her friends get in a bad wreck on an isolated road just as a blizzard descends. Though hurt, they're all alive... For now.

Dun. Dun. Dun.

It probably took about fifty pages for me to really get into the book, but once I got invested in the lives of the characters, I was insanely curious as to how it would end.

As a pretty squeamish person (I'm not the one you want beside you if you're bleeding), some of the descriptions of blood and whatnot had me squirming. For example, on page 92:

Without looking down, Courtney probed deeper. It was spongy and warm inside. She tried to tell herself she wasn't feeling the insides of a human body, but it didn't work.

That, and the next few lines following, put a grimace on my face.

Knowing that things could change at any second and that these people are in a literal life and death situation kept me on the edge of my seat. Would they all survive? All die? Why can't I read faster??

The tag line of this book is right on: Sometimes the will to survive is the scariest thing of all.

This book was reviewed as part of an Other Shelf Tour.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Newer Post Older Post Home