Monday, April 5, 2010

Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder

If you haven't read Poison Study, this review contains spoilers. Instead, why don't you check out my review of Poison Study.

Yelena has gone to Sitia in order to flee from the execution order against her in Ixia , meet her family, and learn about her abilities as a magician

But once she gets to Sitia she learns that she can't control her power as much as she should, her brother seems to hate her, and finds herself missing her northern friends.

Danger finds her once again, and Yelena must once again fight to survive, only this time, the stakes are even higher.
----

First off, I would like to take a moment to swoon over Valek. I couldn't figure out how to in my Poison Study review without spoiling that part of that story. Feel free to join me. 1,2,3...

Sa-woon.

I'm so glad to be able to get that out of my system.

Oftentimes while reading this book, I didn't know whether to praise Yelena for her bravery or be mad at her for her brash actions. She's impulsive, often doing things without fully weighing the consquences of her deeds. Sometimes I wanted her to slow down and just think for a few minutes, but if she had, this book wouldn't have been nearly as interesting.

With an entirely new environment comes a lot of new characters, many of whom I really enjoyed, especially the horses. Yelena, using her magic, is able to speak to horses, and I absolutely loved reading her conversations with them.

The pace in this book moves along well, and it had my interest the entire time. I certainly didn't see all of the twists and turns coming. I really liked 'em.

Magic Study was a fantastic read. Maybe not quite as enthralling for me as Poison Study but pretty darn close. I can't wait to dive into Fire Study!

blog comments powered by Disqus

Newer Post Older Post Home