Friday, July 3, 2009

Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson

Kate has it all planned. She’s worked hard throughout high school putting together a resume that would impress any college. Straight A’s, sports, science and math geek; she has it all together. She’s going to MIT. Well, at least that’s what she’s planned. It was the only college she applied to. She has to get in. Constantly pushing herself to the edge, she has to be careful that she doesn’t fall over.

This is the second book that I’ve read by Laurie Halse Anderson, and she managed to amaze me yet again. The writing was fabulous, and I really felt like I got to know Kate and the forces that drove her. I’m definitely planning on picking more of Anderson’s work up soon.

Kate sounds like a lot of high schoolers I know. She knows what she wants, and she’s going to do everything she can to make it happen. Rejection is something that everyone hates, and so the time she waits to see if she made it into MIT was pure torture. Kate’s entire life was pretty rough. She lost her mother as a child, and her father isn’t much help. The amount of effort Kate has to put in to take care of her family and herself is huge. I’m sure that I would have broke under the pressure, and I ended up admiring her for her strength.

Overall, This was a great book, and well worth the time I spent reading it.

My rating: 4/5 stars

Links:
write meg!
Libarina
Amazon

blog comments powered by Disqus

Newer Post Older Post Home