Monday, August 10, 2009

Mansfield Park (Movie)

At the age of ten Fanny Price leaves her home at her mother's bidding to live with the Bertrams, her rich relatives. There she spends the next eight years of her life, and when she turns 18 the story really begins. She is happy and mistakenly thinks she will always be so. Her one true friend at Mansfield, her cousin Edmund, is the man that Fanny loves, and although he doesn't love her in a romantic way, he is her best friend. Then Mr. and Miss Crawford come into the community and bring with them enough chaos that could ruin Fanny's happiness forever.

The book that this movie was based on by Jane Austen wasn't one of my favorites by her. It was very good, don't get me wrong, but Fanny was always so fragile in her health and emotions. Although the Fanny in this movie was still very fragile emotionally (She's one of those people who you can look at the wrong way and hurt their feelings.) her health wasn't quite as fragile allowing her to be a lot more vibrant in her actions. I very much enjoyed this aspect.

The only bone of contention I had this book was that it moved along really fast. We were here, then we were there, and then over here. I would have liked it to slow down a little bit and relax. It felt really short.

I really liked all of the character interpretations. Mr. and Miss Crawford were a lot more conniving than what I imagined, and Lady Bertram had a lot more depth than what I perceived in the book. I also learned a little bit. I always thought that "Maria," the name of Lady Bertram's eldest daughter was pronounced with a long "e." However, in the movie it was pronounced with a long "i." I've never thought of pronouncing it like that. Hmm.

Anyway, Mansfield Park was a really cool movie, and I enjoyed it very much. You should definitely check it out.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Newer Post Older Post Home