Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Persuasion

Eight years ago Frederick Wentworth fell in love with Anne Elliot. They were engaged, but Anne let herself be persuaded into breaking it off because Frederick had no fortune. Now he's back and their situations are reversed. Anne's family is in debt, and Frederick has made in the Navy. She's still in love with him, but he no longer wants anything to do with her.

Persuasion is my favorite Austen novel so I was very interested in seeing what this adaption would hold. Overall, I was very pleased. I really liked watching Anne and Frederick struggle with their feelings for each other. Anne was in so much pain because of the knowledge that Frederick would never be hers. I sort of enjoyed watching this because even though it was a bit painful I've always thought that Anne should have felt very, very sad. She did, after all, basically abandon Frederick even though she knew he loved her so deeply.

The minor characters really made the movie for me. Anne's entire family is so self-centered. I enjoyed watching Mary and all her "illnesses." I have a few friends that act like that, always full of self pity. Watching Anne deal with her family really let her good nature shine through.

Frederick is my favorite of the Austen men. He's quite affable to everyone. It was fun to see his personality come to life on-screen. I enjoyed this adaption of Persuasion very much. Anne and Frederick's story is one that I will always remember.

My rating: 3.5/5 stars

blog comments powered by Disqus

Newer Post Older Post Home