Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mr. Darcy Takes A Wife by Linda Berdoll


Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife is a continuation of Pride and Prejudice. Readers join Darcy and Elizabeth after their wedding and learn whether they are really right for each other. Along the way we are joined by many other beloved characters, like Georgianna and Mr. Bennet, while also joined by new characters as well.

The plot line of this story was very busy. Every person in the story is involved in some type of charade. Although interesting, it was also very confusing. In the beginning of the book, everything revolved around Darcy and Elizabeth. However, as the book continued, we began to see what was going on with everyone else as well. It was hard to keep everybody straight. I think that if a couple less characters were present then it would have been much easier to follow. Written in third person, we'd see what this person was doing then be taken to see how another was faring. Like I said, a little confusing.

The romance in this book is very high. Darcy and Elizabeth can't keep their hands off each other, so I wouldn't recommend this to readers who don't enjoy reading all about that.

While reading this book, I felt as if Berdoll was trying to re-create Austen's style of writing. Although it was okay, she wasn't able to hit it right on. I think I would have preferred just a different style of writing altogether rather than an imitation.

I did enjoy the plot. Their lives were a lot more complicated than what I would have imagined. Also, I also enjoyed the historical aspect of it. Learning about the Darcys while also picking up a couple facts about the French Revolution was very interesting.

Overall, this was an okay book. It didn't amaze me, but it was worth the time I spent reading it. This is a sequel in which you would definitely need to read the initial book before picking this one up.

My ratin- 2/5 stars

blog comments powered by Disqus

Newer Post Older Post Home