Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Speak tells the story of Melinda Sordino. From her first day of high school she' s labeled as an outcast, not fitting anywhere. All because of that one night. That one night when she called the cops, and they busted the party. No one knows what happened. All she wants to do is forget, but she can't. Not by herself. For someone else to know, she must speak.

This was a really great read. Melinda's voice compelled me to listen. Listen to her story. Learn how she lives.

This book covered a year in Melinda's life in under 200 pages. You don't get a day by day description of her life. This sparse writing worked well because you know that, for the most part, her life is monotonous, one day being the exact same as the last.

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this book. Thankfully, I was suprised in a good way. It's a lot deeper than I had imagined. While she battles her demons, Melinda walks anonymous among her schoolmates and family. I wanted to scream at them. Couldn't they see what she was going through? The pain she endures?

I really don't know what else to say about this book. It was a great read. One that many should pick up.

My rating- 4/5

Did you know this book was made into a movie? I think I'm definitely going to check this out.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Newer Post Older Post Home